Condition of Nepalese Monasteries
May 3, 2015
Several monasteries of our teachers were also damaged or destroyed in the earthquake and aftershocks. This is the status as of May, 1, 12am CET.
- Manang Gompa – the old monastery of Sherab Gyaltsen Rinpoche is fully destroyed
- Dhagpo Sheydrub Ling (Nala Gompa) – Sherab Gyaltsen Rinpoche’s new monastery outside of Kathmandu close to Bhaktapur has some cracks but seems to be fine. The inauguration planned for May 2015 is postponed until further notice.
- Karma Raja Maha Vihara Monastery – Shamarpa and Karmapa’s monastery on Swayambhu is badly cracked but standing.
- Lopon Tsechu Rinpoche’s Monastery on Swayambhu is damaged on one side.
- Lopon Tsechu Rinpoche’s Monastery and guesthouse below Swayambhu hill is partially destroyed.
- Sharminub Monastery – the new monastery of Shamar Rinpoche currently under construction is partially damaged.