January 19, 2015
AMSTERDAM – Syria has started the long-delayed destruction of a dozen underground bunkers and hangars that were used for the production and storage of chemical weapons, diplomatic sources told Reuters on Monday.
Damascus last year handed over 1,300 metric tonnes of toxic agents after joining the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), but it is months behind schedule in destroying the facilities used to make and store its deadly stockpile.
Work at a first tunnel began on December 24, but was delayed by winter storms. The site will be sealed off with cement walls by the end of January, said one source in The Hague, where the global chemical weapons watchdog is based.
JPost 18 Jan 2015